Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I've decided since I can't seem to maintain this blog at a normal rate that this posting shall be getting people up to speed on what's been going down in my life. Eventually I will master devoting one post to one event but it's just hard.
So first of all, I have to tell you all about the books that I have been reading.

A. Finding George Orwell in Burma. It's about this girl who goes to Burma and talks to all these people about what's going on in Burma and the whole times makes connections to the works of George Orwell (who spent years there in the military). It's way interesting and hopefully will enhance my first attempt at 1984 (Next book on my list) I've been loving me some Myanmar ever since the refuge totts have entered my life. For those of you who aren't aware Catholic community services of salt lake has this program that lets you help all these people coming from crazy parts of the world assimilate to American life. Although I am not directly affiliated with the program my estranged friend Brian Corry introduced me to this family. They are the best thing ever. First there is Moo Moo (the mom) and she and I have a crush on each other. She is the best. Then there is Puh ta ou and he is 15 and has such a good attitude and loves practicing his English....it's still shaky but he gets better every time I talk to him. Then there is pet ah roo, he is really quiet and the only one I haven't connected with. I'll keep you updated on our status. Next in line is Simo. I'm particularly proud of Simo just because him and I are soul sisters. He is the age of children I'm used to dealing with so things work out good. Next there is Pee oo. He is the cutest little thing and I just can't get enough of him. Then last is Moo Moo's only girl, baby Rosa. She is 18 months and seriously loves life. She is always running around their west valley neighborhood by herself and it freaks me out.


B. Falling Leaves. I guess I love Asia. I'm only a hundred and six pages into this one but it has not disappointed me. It's mostly about this little Chinese girl living in a crazy house and experiencing all these out of control situations. That description just doesn't do it justice so here is what the inspirational quote from the back of the book says
" Brilliant, compelling, and unforgettable. A heartrending modern-day Cinderella story set against the turbulence of twentieth-century China. Autobiography at its best." -Nien Chang
Side note: About a month ago, I went to a screening of a documentary in Salt Lake called China's Lost Children. I found out from my Dad that it is now playing on TV ( I think HBO) so keep your eyes open for it. It made me freak out. China loves selling and stealing kids. They love it. It is their favorite.
Like I said before...I'm going to be reading 1984 as soon as my China book is over and I just am excited. Ya know...A classic.
Other Recent Activities:
Mostly I have just been trying to finish up the summer semester. I'm taking Math 1040, Race and Minority Relations, and British Literature. I love my stupid major so much more than anything else. I also have really enjoyed summer school. I went last year too and it really is just the best. I'm kind of dreading the Fall semester because all the weirdo creeps find their way back into the "halls" of "UVU". I get what I deserve I guess. And you may be asking yourself "where is Amy living in the fall?"...the answer....I don't know. I realize I have to move out of the luxurious Branbury in T minus twenty five days but it's just hard to commit to another year in Provo. I mean I know I'm going to...it's just hard.
The Following video is from Dereks Fairwell party. We went to dinner at Indian Palace in Provo and had a really good time. He is moving to Arizona to be a police man and I thought it appropriate to show his talent off to the world.

1 comment:

cat.janer said...

I love the "halls" of "UVU". Ha. Thank you High School University. We are moving in with Mrs. S. and don't try to fight it. And on our first day there, Gabe will come running in and scream "Welcome to Alpine City!!!!!" We will love it.